- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup unsifted flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk.
- With fork or wire whisk, mix well. stir
in flour, sugar and vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 quarts vegetable oil to 365 degrees F on a candy
- Attach selected iron to handle.
- Dip iron into hot oil for 15 seconds; drain slightly on paper towel.
- Dip lower part of hot iron into batter, letting excess
drip back into bowl. (Do not get batter on top of iron.)
- Dip iron into hot oil; as batter becomes cooked, it will loosen and drop into oil.
- Cook until golden on one side; turn and cook on other side. Repeat.
- As pastries turn golden, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pastries may be sprinkled with confectioners sugar or cinnamon-sugar.
- Tart shells may be filled with sweet or savory fillings.
Omit sugar and vanilla extract from basic batter. Add 1 teaspoon
dried dillweed and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
To basic batter add 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger and ground
cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice.