(Karjalan Paisti — Finland)
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck or round
- 1 pound boneless lamb shoulder
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Boiled potatoes
- Trim fat from meats; cut meats into 1-inch cubes.
- Toss meats, flour, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Alternate layers of meat and onions in Dutch oven.
- Add bay leaf.
- Pour hot water over meat and onion mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 2 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and broth is slightly
thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with potatoes.
Yield: 8 servings