Greens with Bacon (Couve a Mineira)
- 2 pounds collard greens or kale
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove stems from collard greens; cut leaves into 1/2-inch wide strips.
Pour boiling water over collard greens. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- Stir garlic and collard greens into bacon fat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook over low heat until collard greens are tender, about 15 minutes
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Garnish with reserved bacon.
Yield: 6 servings