Guacamole (Guasacaca - Venezuela)
This is used as a marinade, spread and relish. As a marinade, it is slathered
on beef, chicken, fish and shellfish before grilling. As a spread, it is generally
put on crusty corn cakes (arepas de choclo).
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 medium ripe Haas avocados
- 1 medium ripe tomato, finely minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, seeded and finely minced
- Salt, to taste
- Mix olive oil and vinegar thoroughly in a bowl to make a dressing.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise, peel off the skin, then remove pits. Cut
the avocado flesh into chunks and fold into the dressing. Mash the avocados
with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in tomato, bell pepper, onion and chile.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Serve at once.