(Venezuelan Steak in Tomato Sauce)
This is great served with any rice dish or over noodles.
- 1 (2 pound) lean sirloin steak, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped, or 2 cups drained, chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Broil the steak under a preheated broiler for about 5 minutes on each side,
or until the steak is medium rare.
- Using a knife or your fingers, cut or pull the meat into pieces approximately
1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide.
- In a heavy skillet heat the oil over moderate heat and add the onions and
garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are transparent but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, cumin and salt and reduce the heat to low. Cook uncovered
for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tomato juices evaporate
and the sauce becomes a thick puree.
- Add the strips of beef and mix them well with the sauce.
Serves 4 to 6.