Paraguayan Cheese Corn Bread
In Paraguay this is traditionally served as an accompaniment to soups and grilled
meats, but it also makes a great addition to the breakfast or brunch table.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup farmer's or cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Muenster or other mild cheese
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups grated corn kernels or 1 (16 ounce)can cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- Heat half the butter in a skillet and cook the onions over moderate heat
until tender but not brown. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining butter with the farmer's or cottage cheese and
mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the Muenster, onions, cornmeal, corn, salt, milk, egg yolks, and mix
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 13 x 10-inch baking pan and bake
in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick
inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serves 6 to 8.