Paraguayan Corn Bread (Sopa Paraguaya)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir boiling water into cornmeal in a large bowl; continue stirring until smooth.
- Blend in butter and egg yolks.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except egg whites.
- Beat egg whites just until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Bake until knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
Yield: 9 to 12 servings