Peruvian Caramel Sauce with Fruit
The traditional ingredient in this sauce is goat's milk. Long, watchful cooking
ensures that this sauce has the fullest caramel flavor possible. This sauce is particularly
good over a mixture of sliced bananas and peaches.
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Fresh fruit
- Heat evaporated milk, milk and baking soda to boiling; remove from heat.
- Heat brown sugar and water in Dutch oven over low heat, stirring constantly,
until sugar is dissolved.
- Add milk mixture. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring frequently,
until mixture is very thick and golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Pour into serving bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Serve with fruit.
Yield: 7 or 8 servings