Peruvian Lomito Saltado
Translated it means "jumping meat." It's very important to use
very high heat, and cook it quickly. A big pan or even a wok is all you will need.
If you cook for more than 4 or 6, don't fry the meat and vegetables all together.
Cook 4 at a time.
- 1 pound tenderloin
- 1/2 pound onion
- 1 pound potatoes
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 green chile peppers
- Chopped parsley
- Ground pepper
- 2 ounces white wine vinegar
- 2 ounces soy sauce
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- First cut the potatoes as you would for French fries. Fry them in vegetable
- Cut the meat into narrow 2-inch long strips.
- Cut the onion and tomatoes in eight parts each.
- Cut the peppers into narrow strips, washing them in hot water and removing
stems and seeds.
- In a pan or wok, over VERY high heat and using about 2 tablespoons vegetable
oil, fry the meat, turning it quickly, making it "jump" on the pan.
When done, add the onion. After two minutes, add the tomatoes and peppers. Add
salt, pepper, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Serve immediately with the fries and rice. Onions, tomatoes and peppers
should be crunchy.