Peruvian Potato Salad
(Papas a la Huancaina)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 small serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- 12 Greek olives
- 3 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut into quarters
- Mix onion, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the red pepper; cover and
- Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling. Add potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce
heat. Cover and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes; drain and cool.
- Pare potatoes; cut into quarters.
- Heat cream cheese, half-and-half, chiles, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the turmeric
over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is smooth, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Arrange potatoes on lettuce leaves.
- Spoon cheese mixture over potatoes.
- Drain onion; arrange on cheese and potatoes.
- Garnish with olives and eggs.
Yields 6 servings