Picadillo Potato Pie
Picadillo, seasoned chopped beef, is a great favorite throughout Latin America,
and every country has its own version. This Dominican variation includes hard-boiled
eggs, raisins, olives and capers and prepared with mashed potatoes, it is a winning
Although this recipe takes some time to prepare, it is worth the effort. For
ease in preparation, the picadillo filling or potato part can be made a day ahead
or earlier in the day and refrigerated.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet cubanelle or green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 MAGGI Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cube, dissolvedin 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 6 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 3 1/2 pounds (7 to 8 medium) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup (.75 ounce) BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Picadillo: Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peppers,
onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground beef; cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add tomato paste; stir to blend in. Stir in bouillon mixture, olives, capers and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Reduce heat to low; add raisins. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently mix in chopped egg.
- Potato Pie: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender; drain well. Mash potatoes while hot until smooth. Add butter; alternately mix in evaporated milk and eggs. Add salt and pepper; mix well.
- Place half of mashed potatoes in prepared baking dish. Spoon Picadillo over potatoes. Gently spread remaining mashed potatoes over Picadillo. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Prepn: 25 min | Cook: 1 hr 15 min | Servings: 12
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé and meals.com