Porotos Granados (Chilean Bean Stew)
- 4 cups Great Northern, cannellini or navy beans, drained
- 2 cup peeled and diced pumpkin or other winter squash
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4-6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Combine the beans, pumpkin, jalapenos and enough water to cover in a pot
and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over moderate heat and sauté the onion
and paprika until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the beans along with the tomatoes, corn, salt and
pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped basil.
Serves 6 to 8.