Rum-Soaked Sponge Cake
(Bolo Bebado - Brazil)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cachaca or white rum
- Fresh fruit or confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Cake Batter: Put all ingredients into a food process or blender and process until the
batter is smooth and well blended.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a nonstick 8- or 9-inch square cake pan.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the upper rack in a preheated
350 degrees F oven until golden and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes
out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Meanwhile,
make the syrup.
- After syrup is made, run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen
it from the pan. Then turn the cake out onto a large serving platter. Pour the
rum syrup over the cake and allow it to cool.
- Serve the sponge cake at room temperature or chilled, plain or with the
garnish of your choice.
- Rum-Flavored Syrup: Put all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a
boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, and then remove from the
- Garnish: If using confectioners' sugar, make sure the cake is cool or
it will melt into the cake.