Moqueca de Camarao
(Shrimp Stew - Brazil)
- 2 tablespoons dende (palm) oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 pounds fresh medium size prawns, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 fresh red cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Heat the oil, and stir fry the onion until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and prawns. Stir fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, lemon juice, tomatoes, parsley, pepper, cayenne and coconut
milk. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you want to add fish to the moqueca, use sea bass, cut into small pieces,
and cook it together with the coconut milk.