South American Coconut Pastries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Pastries: Sift dry ingredients into bowl; cut in butter. Mix in orange juice, a little
at a time, until ball of dough is formed (dough will be rather dry). Press together
lightly. Wrap in wax paper and chill 1 hour.
- Roll the dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured board. Cut with a 3 1/2
inch cookie cutter. Put 1 teaspoon Coconut Filling on half of each round. Moisten
edges and fold over. Seal edges with a fork. Arrange on greased baking sheet
and brush with slightly beaten egg white.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until delicately browned.
- Coconut Filling: Mix coconut, cornstarch, sugar and evaporated milk. Cook
over low heat, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add egg yolks and butter, stirring. Stir over low heat for 2 minutes.
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 dozen.