Tortillas de Maiz
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels cut from 2 large earsof corn, or substitute 1 cup thoroughlydefrosted frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- With paper towels, pat corn kernels completely dry.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms
above it. Drop in the corn and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or
until the corn is golden brown. Drain corn on a double thickness of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until they are well combined and foamy, then
beat in flour, salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy skillet or cr pe pan set over
moderate heat. When the foam subsides, pour in 1/4 cup of the batter. As soon
as the edges begin to set, sprinkle the tortilla with 2 tablespoons of corn.
Then with a fork, push the edges of the tortilla toward the center of the pan
and tip it slightly to allow the uncooked batter to run out and cover the exposed
areas of the pan. When the tortilla is set and the bottom is light brown, turn
it over with a spatula and cook for 1 minute to brown the other side. Slide
the tortilla onto a heated platter and proceed in the same manner with the remaining
batter, stirring the batter before making each tortilla. Add a teaspoon of the
remaining butter to the pan for each one. As they are done, stack the pancakes
one on top of the other.
- Serve them on individual plates, topped with a tablespoon of sour cream
and a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.