Uruguayan Marinated Chicken (Pollo en Escabeche)
- 2 chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon each thyme and marjoram
- 18 whole black peppercorns
- Salt, to taste
- 3 cup white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- Brown the chicken in the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy skillet over
- Place the chicken pieces in a large saucepan or casserole and add the carrots,
onions, garlic and spices.
- Add the vinegar and oil and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour,
until the chicken is done.
- Remove from the heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Chill well in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Serves 6 to 8.