Verduras en Escabeche
(Pickled Vegetables - Guatemala)
- 5 jalapeno chiles, each about 2 inches long
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 cups diagonal 1/8-inch thick slices carrots
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cider or white vinegar
- Fry the chile peppers in the oil for 2 minutes to soften the skins. Remove
the chiles, slice them open vertically, and remove seeds and fibers. Set aside.
- Blanch the carrots, cauliflower, onion and garlic separately in boiling
water for 2 minutes. Drain well and mix them all together. Put them into a glass
jar or stone crock.
- Mix the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, salt and sugar in the vinegar. Pour
this over the vegetables and mix well.
- Allow the escabeche to marinate for 1 day or more before using.
- The pickle can be refrigerated or stored at room temperature in a cool place.