Basque Barbecue Leg of Lamb
- 1 (6 to 7 pound) leg of lamb or 1 whole lamb
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced
- The day before serving, mix all marinade ingredients. Place in a pint jar and
- Remove excess fat from lamb without breaking the parchment-like fell,
leaving a little fat in order to enhance flavor.
- Using a small brush, spread surface of meat well with marinade.
- Place lamb in a large pan, cover, refrigerate overnight
or for 24 hours. Baste occasionally with marinade.
- The following day, remove meat from refrigerator at least 40 minutes before cooking
time, in order to bring to room temperature.
- Heat coals.
- Either lay leg of lamb on grill or place on a spit. Turn meat over every 15 minutes.
Cook to desired doneness.
- Transfer meat to a pan and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. (Resting meat
makes it firm and easier to carve.)
- Serve with Chenin Blanc wine.
Total cookg time: approximately 2 1/2 hr | Serves 8 to 10