- 1 1/2 whole yellow onions, julienned
- 10-15 cloves fresh sliced garlic
- 1 jar (4 to 6) whole roasted sweet red and yellow bell peppers, julienned
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 quart can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 to 5 eggs
- 6-8 slices Basque Sheepherder's Bread
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the onions and sliced garlic in
olive oil over medium high heat until translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add spices and sauté until they begin to give off their aroma.
- Add tomatoes, breaking them up a bit with a metal spoon, then add
roasted red peppers.
- Add bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Adjust seasoning if
- Make places for eggs with a spoon and crack one egg into each of those
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Slice and grill bread and serve with dish.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / FomaA