- 1 1/2 whole yellow onions, julienned
- 10-15 cloves fresh sliced garlic
- 1 jar (4 to 6) whole roasted sweet red and yellow bell peppers, julienned
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 quart can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 to 5 eggs
- 6-8 slices Basque Sheepherder's Bread
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet, sauté the onions and sliced garlic in
olive oil over medium high heat until translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Add spices and sauté until they begin to give off their aroma.
- Add tomatoes, breaking them up a bit with a metal spoon, then add
roasted red peppers.
- Add bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Make places for eggs with a spoon and crack one egg into each of those places.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Slice and grill bread and serve with dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.