Basque Roasted Tomato Soup
This is really a delicious soup and the shrimp just adds that extra flavor and
texture that makes this soup elegant.
- 2 pounds large plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 onions very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed and peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes with basil, well drained and chopped (reserve liquid)
- 6 cups chicken broth or homemade broth, defatted
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 large (1/2 pound) shrimp, optional
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives or slivered basil leaves
- Heat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cut fresh tomatoes in half lengthwise. Arrange, cut-side down, in a single layer
on prepared baking sheet.
- Rizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with sugar.
- Roast for 3 hours, or until very soft and wrinkled. Let cool and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and crushed
red pepper over medium/low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add paprika and oregano and cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
- Add canned tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and
simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain soup into a bowl and transfer solids to a food processor or blender. Puree
until smooth, adding a little broth if necessary.
- Return puree and broth to pot. Whisk to combine.
- Using a food mill, puree roasted tomatoes, or remove skins off tomatoes and puree
in food processor and strain through a coarse sieve.
- Add puree to soup. (If the
soup is too thick, add a little of the reserved canned tomato liquid.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If using shrimp, cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until they
just turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Peel shrimp and cut in half lengthwise.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with shrimp, if using, and chives (or
- Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 9 cups.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine 6/9/01 7:41:21 am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.