Brazo de Gitano
("Gypsy's Arm" Rolled Sponge Cake)
This is a classic Spanish chocolate cake-rum roll.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sifted confectioners'
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 tablespoon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until thick and smooth.
- Stir in flour, cocoa
and vanilla extract. Blend well.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold
into yolk and flour mixture.
- Butter a 15 x 8-inch baking pan. Line with baking parchment
paper or wax paper. Butter well again, and dust lightly with 2 tablespoons of the
- Pour batter into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for
- Cool for 5 minutes, then turn onto a cloth to cool.
- After 10 minutes
peel paper off.
- Combine whipped cream, rum and sugar. Adjust to taste.
- Spread over cake and roll
cake like a jellyroll, starting with the long edge.
- Sprinkle with remaining confectioners'
- Serve in slices.
* Superfine Sugar: Put desired amount of granulated sugar in a blender and blend
at high speed for about 30 seconds.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.