Catalan Tomato Bread
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French or Italian bread
- 1 or 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1/2 pound) ripe tomato, rinsed
- Slice loaf in half horizontally. Set halves, cut side upon a 15 x 12-inch baking
- Broil about 4inches from heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. If crust side
is soft, turn over and toast 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Cut garlic clove in half.
- Rub cloves over cut surface of bread.
- Brush or drizzle
bread with oil.
- Cut tomato in half horizontally; rub cut sides over toast, squeezing
slightly to release juices.
- Cut bread into 1 1/2-inch wide wedges.