Chicken with Red Peppers (Spain)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 medium red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet until hot. Cook chicken over medium heat
until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes; remove chicken.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Return chicken to skillet. Simmer uncovered, turning chicken pieces
occasionally, until thickest pieces
of chicken are done, about 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken to warm platter; keep warm.
- Cook and stir sauce over medium heat
until very thick, about 5 minutes; serve over chicken.
- Garnish with ripe or Kalamata olives if desired.
Yield: 6 servings