Dreams (Sonhos - Portugal)
- 1/4 pound butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Cinnamon sugar*
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Bring the butter, sugar, salt and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high
heat. Remove from the heat and add all the flour at once.
- Beat vigorously with a
wooden spoon until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Add the eggs one at a time,
beating vigorously until each egg is absorbed by the dough before adding the next.
The dough will give the appearance that it is separating, but beating will incorporate
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375 degrees F and carefully drop the dough by rounded
tablespoonsful. Do not fry more than 3 or 4 at a time, and try to keep the temperature
of the oil as close to 375 degrees F as possible.
- Fry the pastries for 3 to 4 minutes,
turning as necessary, until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still hot.
Makes about 2 dozen; allow 3 to 4 per serving