(Morgado de Figos do Algarve - Portugal)
- 1/2 pound dried figs
- 1/2 pound ground almonds
- 2 ounces cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 pound granulated sugar
- 4 ounces water
- Mince the figs finely or put them through a food processor.
- Assemble the remaining
dry ingredients, except for the sugar, in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring only
until the sugar is dissolved, then boil without stirring for a minute or two, just
until it has thickened and is slightly reduced.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the remaining ingredients. The mixture will
be very stiff.
- Return to the heat and cook gently until it is slightly shiny and
comes away from the sides and bottom of the pan in a mass. This only takes a few
- Pat into an 8-inch pan or shallow dish. Allow it to cool, then cut into small
squares and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.