Fried Milk (Leche Frita- Spain)
These are absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup dry fine bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Heat to
boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Spread evenly in ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Refrigerate uncovered until firm, at least 3 hours.
- Cut custard into 2-inch squares with wet knife.
- Dip custard squares into eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 360 degrees F.
- Fry 2 to 3 squares at a time until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes; drain.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings