Fried Squid (Calamares Fritos)
This is a popular appetizer around the Mediterranean. Serve with a squeeze of
- 1 pound cleaned squid
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Lemon wedges
- Cut squid body cones into 1/2-inch slices; leave tentacles whole. Pat dry.
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Coat squid with flour. Dip into eggs; coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry a few squid pieces at a time until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain; sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 8 servings