Galician Almond Torte
(Torta de Almendras Santiago)
This is usually decorated with a stenciled cross of Santiago de Compostela on
- 1 pound blanched, skinless almonds or almond powder
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Juice and grated
zest of 1 lemon
- Confectioners' sugar
- Toast the almonds in a preheated 350 degree F oven until light golden brown.
- Process almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one
at a time.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and lemon zest and stir just until mixed.
- Pour into a greased and floured springform pan and bake until a knife blade inserted
in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then pour the lemon juice over the surface.
- Remove from
the pan and cool on a rack.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Serves 10 to 12