(Batatas con Louro - Portugal)
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- Pare a narrow strip around center of each potato.
- Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling.
- Add potatoes and bay leaves. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook
until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes; drain.
- Heat oil and butter in skillet until butter is melted and bubbly.
- Add potatoes and bay leaves; stir to coat with oil mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook
uncovered over medium heat, turning potatoes frequently, until golden brown, 10
to 12 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
Yield: 4 servings