Marinated Black-Eyed Peas (Salada de Feijao Frade)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- Heat water and peas to boiling in 3-quart saucepan. Boil for 2 minutes; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until tender, 50 to 60 minutes; drain.
- Mix peas and remaining ingredients except 1 hardboiled egg in large bowl.
and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Arrange remaining egg on top of mixture; sprinkle with additional snipped cilantro
Yields 5 servings