Mussels in White Wine Sauce
(Mejillones a la Marinera - Spain)
- 2 pounds mussels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron or paprika
- Minced parsley
- Clean mussels. Discard any that are not tightly closed.
- Cook and stir shallots
and garlic in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shallots are tender.
- Stir in wine and saffron. Heat wine mixture to boiling; add mussels. Cover and
boil until mussels open, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove mussels to bowl with slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Cook remaining liquid in
pan over high heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over mussels.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with French bread.