Portuguese Poached Meringue
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots (1 cup)
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Granulated sugar
- 10 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Apricot Sauce: Heat apricots, water, sugar and cinnamon to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer until apricots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Place apricot mixture and lemon juice in blender container. Cover and blend on
medium-high speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides, until smooth,
about 15 seconds.
- Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons water, if necessary, until of desired consistency.
Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- Meringue: Grease 12-cup Bundt cake pan; sprinkle with sugar. Heat oven to 350
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until soft peaks form.
Pour into pan; cut gently through batter with metal spatula. Place pan in shallow
roasting pan on oven rack. Pour 1 inch of very hot water into roasting pan. Bake
until top is golden brown and meringue is set, about 45 minutes.
- Immediately loosen meringue from edges of pan. Invert on heatproof serving plate.
Cool 30 minutes; refrigerate uncovered no longer than 24 hours.
- Cut meringue into wedges; serve with Apricot Sauce, and garnish with mint leaves.