Portuguese Tomato Rice
(Arroz de Tomate)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter or bacon drippings
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion
and garlic and cook 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt, and pepper, and cover.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered until the rice is done, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
Serves 4 to 6