Potato, Onion and Salt Cod Casserole
(Bacalhau a Gomes de Sa - Portugal)
- 1 pound dried salt cod
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 pounds small white or new potatoes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into wedges
- 12 to 18 oil-cured black olives
- Additional chopped parsley
- Soak the cod in water overnight in the refrigerator, changing the water several
times. Drain and rinse well. Place the cod in a large saucepan and add the boiling
water. Simmer over moderate heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cod flakes easily.
Drain and rinse well, and flake into small pieces, removing any bones and bits of
- Boil the potatoes until tender but firm, drain, and allow to cool. Peel and slice
the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large,
heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes,
stirring frequently, until tender but not brown.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the skillet, along with more olive oil if necessary,
and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Layer half the potatoes in a well greased 2-quart casserole or gratin dish. Sprinkle
with parsley and pepper, add one third of the onion mixture, and half the cod. Repeat,
ending with a layer of the onion mixture. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven
for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and lightly browned.
- Arrange the egg wedges and olives attractively on top, and sprinkle with a little
Serves 4 to 6