Quince Candy (Portuguese Bomboms)
- 2 pounds quinces, peeled, cored and quartered (about 1 1/4 quarts)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 1/2 cups sugar (about)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Cook the quinces in the water over low heat until they are tender, about 20 to
- Puree the pulp through a sieve and measure it.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix the pulp with an equal volume of sugar and stirring
constantly, simmer the mixture until it is quite thick and pulls away from the sides
of the pan.
- Stir in the vanilla or almond extract, and pour the mixture into a buttered
pan measuring 8 x 12 x 1 1/4 inches.
- Put the pan into a preheated 250 degree F oven for about 30 minutes to harden
- Cut the candy into 1/2 inch squares and wrap the squares in wax paper.
Yield: about 3 pounds
Posted at Recipe Goldmine by Olga 6:38:27pm 10/13/03.
Source: A Portuguese-American Cookbook