- 12 mussels
- 6 clams
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 8 ounces scallops
- 8 ounces squid or octopus, cleaned and cutinto 1/4-inch rings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron or ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 (2 ounce) jar sliced pimentos, drained
- Clean mussels and clams. Discard any that are not tightly closed. Heat oil
in 14-inch metal paella pan or Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Cook and
stir shrimp in oil just until pink, about 2 minutes; remove with slotted spoon.
Cook and stir scallops until slightly firm, 1 to 2 minutes; remove with slotted
spoon. Cover and refrigerate shrimp and scallops.
- Cook and stir squid until rings begin to shrink, about 2 minutes; remove
with slotted spoon.
- Add more oil to pan if necessary. Cook and stir onion and garlic until onion
is tender. Stir in squid and tomatoes; break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, scallops, water, rice, salt, saffron and pepper. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Arrange mussels, clams and peas on top of rice mixture Cover loosely with
aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees F until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes
in paella pan, 40 minutes in Dutch oven.
- Discard any unopened mussels or clams. Sprinkle with pimentos. Garnish with
lemon wedges if desired.
Yield: 6 servings