Spanish Crullers (Churros)
Churros is the name of a shaggy-coated sheep, and these crullers look a bit shaggy,
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat 1 to 1 1/2 inches oil to 360 degrees F.
- Heat water, butter and salt to rolling boil in 3-quart saucepan; stir in flour.
Stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute; remove
- Beat in eggs all at once; continue beating until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into decorators' tube with large star tip. Squeeze 4-inch strips
of dough into hot oil.
- Fry 3 or 4 strips at a time until golden brown, turning once,
about 2 minutes on each side; drain.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon; roll crullers in sugar mixture.
Makes about 24