Spanish Hard Rolls (Bolillos)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons water
- Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water in large bowl. Stir in honey, salt and 3
cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough
easy to handle. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until
double, about 1 hour. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 equal parts. Shape each part into oblong, about 5 inches
long; pinch ends to form points. Place on greased cookie sheets. Make slash about
3 inches long and 1/2 inch deep the length of each roll. Cover; let rise until double,
45 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix cornstarch and 2 1/2 teaspoons water; brush on rolls. Bake until rolls are
golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Makes 16 rolls