- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho Potatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces packaged sliced lean bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen diced sweet peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cups chopped Spanish olives with pimiento
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped capers*
* Additional capers may be used for garnish.
- In a large heavy skillet, cook bacon until well done and crisp. Remove from skillet.
Drain on paper towel. Crumble and reserve.
- Pour off drippings and add peppers to skillet where you cooked the bacon. Cook
for 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, olives, powders, water and potatoes. Bring to boiling and cook
uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Stir in capers.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to allow liquids to absorb. Stir in crumbled bacon and
serve. Add more capers for garnish if desired.
- Serve warm with green vegetable. (Also may be served at room temperature on a
bed of green salad.)
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help defray expenses in maintaining this site. Thank you.