(Shrimp Mousse over Sugar Cane)
- 10 sticks/1 can ripe sugar cane, each 6 inches in length
- For the mousse:
- 1 pound raw tiger shrimp, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Combine the prawns, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in food processor
- Grease hands with vegetable oil.
- Split each sugar cane into fourths,
- Cover the middle of each stick of sugar cane with 3 tablespoons of the
prawn mixture, pressing lightly.
- Cover the exposed ends of the sugar cane stick
- Grill over a medium charcoal fire or cook under a preheated boiler for
about 5 minutes, turning to cook evenly.
- Remove the foil.
Serve with lettuce leaves, basil, cilantro, sliced cucumber and bean sprouts.
Serve with rice paper wrap and angel hair pasta.
As an appetizer: Eat mousse off the sugar cane.
As an entree: Cut mousse off the sugar cane into pieces and wrap in rice paper
with lettuce leaves and herbs. Dip in fish sauce.
Source: Show Me St. Louis
Thanks to chefs at the Market and Little Saigon Cafe