Chinese Greens, Thai Style
- 1 pound Chinese leafy greens (gai laan or jie lan)
- 1 tablespoon salt
tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon
fermented soybean paste (dao jiao)
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash the greens thoroughly in cold water. Cut off and discard any discolored
leaves. Slice any thick stems lengthwise in half.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add the salt.
- Toss in the greens,
bring back to a boil, and boil for a minute, then drain and set aside.
- Heat a large wok over high heat.
- Add the oil and swirl to coat the wok.
in the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds, then toss in the greens.
- Stir- fry vigorously
for about 1 1/2 minutes, then add the soybean paste and fish sauce. Stir-fry for
another 30 seconds, then add the water, bring to a boil, and cover. Cook for about
2 minutes, then remove the lid. The greens should be tender and still bright green.
- Turn out onto a plate and serve hot or at room temperature.
Serves 4 to 6 as part of a rice meal