Crab Noodle Soup (Vietnam)
In Vietnam and in many Vietnamese restaurants, this soup is served with the crab
ground almost to a powder or even in patties.
- 8 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 cups flaked crabmeat
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound rice vermicelli, cooked
- 1/2 head lettuce, finely
shredded (Romaine is preferable to iceberg)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 limes,
- Heat a large heavy pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the shallots in the hot oil
- Add the crabmeat, tomatoes, fish sauce, sugar and salt.
- Pour in 5 cups
of water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, divide the vermicelli among 4 large individual bowls.
- Ladle the soup
over the noodles, and top each serving with a handful of lettuce and bean sprouts
and squeezes of lime juice.
Serves 4 as a complete meal.