Fried Rice with Basil
(Khao Pad Krapow - Thailand)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small bundle long beans OR French snap beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 small fresh red or green chiles, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms, halved
- 1 small red or green pepper; diced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 15 sweet basil leaves
- In a wok or frying pan/skillet, heat the oil until a light haze appears.
- Add the garlic and chiles and fry until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms and onions and stir quickly.
- Add the cooked rice and stir thoroughly.
- Add the long beans, peppers, sugar and light soy sauce and stir thoroughly.
- At the last moment
quickly stir in the basil leaves and turn on to a serving dish.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.