Grilled Eggplant with Soy Sauce
(Vietnamese Vegetarian Version)
- 2 Asian eggplants (long and thin, but not baby eggplants)
- 4 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Prick the eggplants in several places with a fork, then grill over a charcoal
or gas grill for about 20 minutes or until the flesh is soft but before the skin
burns. Remove them from the grill.
- When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Put the scallions into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan until very hot, then pour it
over the scallions. Drain them immediately.
- Sprinkle the scallions over the eggplants,
then gently pour the soy and fish sauces on top.