Thai Bananas in Sticky Rice
(Khao Tom Mad)
- 1 2/3 cups sweet (glutinous) rice
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces dried black beans (optional)
- 4 small bananas, halved
- 8 pieces banana leaf or aluminum foil, 6 x 10 inches
- Soak the glutinous rice in water overnight, then drain. If you want to include
the black beans soak them overnight also and boil until soft.
- Combine coconut cream, sugar and salt in a separate bowl and stir until ingredients
- Put all of the drained rice in a nonstick pan on low heat, and very slowly
add the coconut cream mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring
over simmering heat until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed.
This may take up to one hour, be patient and make sure the coconut milk is absorbed.
- Put a small amount of rice on a banana leaf and mix with black beans. Place a
banana on top, cover with more rice and beans, the fold up the leaf and tie securely.
- Repeat until all bananas are used up.
- Steam for 15 minutes; cool, unwrap and serve.