Thai Coconut Chili Shrimp
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled, deveined and butterflied
- 2/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup cream
- Cornstarch and water slurry
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Mix sweet chili sauce, lemon juice and zest, fish sauce, chili sauce, garlic
and brown sugar.
- Toss the sauce with shimp and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large pan.
- Sauté the red peppers and onions until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the shrimp and marinade and continue to cook at
high heat for 2-3 minutes until shrimp are cooked through (do not overcook, as shrimp
will be tough).
- Add coconut milk and cream. Taste. If the flavor is too spicy, add a little more
cream. If necessary to create a thicker sauce, mix a little cornstarch with water
in a cup and add it to the dish.
- Mix in Cilantro and use some for garnish.
NYou can make the marinade, prepare the shrimp and slice the vegetables
early in the day. Marinate the shrimp 1 1/2 hours before the party and then finish
cooking shortly before the dinner starts. Keep warm in a chafing dish.