Thai Curry Noodle Soup
(Kaow Soy Kai)
This soup can also be made with large shrimp (Kaow Soy Kung) or pork (Kaow Soy
- 3/4 tablespoon red curry paste (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dark Thai curry powder
- 2 teaspoons yellow Indian curry powder
- 4 cups coconut milk (unsweetened)
pound white chicken meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Chicken stock to adjust consistency, if needed
- 4 ounces fresh egg noodles, cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Chopped green
onion for garnish
- In a hot saucepan, add the red curry paste, Thai and yellow curry powder and
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add
fish sauce (salty) and sugar (sweet) to balance the flavors.
- Add cubed chicken meat
and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is done. If the soup reduces too much,
add chicken stock to adjust the consistency.
- For each serving, place some of the cooked noodles in a deep bowl and sprinkle
the noodles with chopped cilantro.
- Pour the soup into the bowl.
- Garnish with chopped
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a first course.