Thai Ice Cream
- 2 cups coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or rosewater
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Sprigs of mint for garnish
- Stir fry the coconut until golden.
- Heat the coconut milk and water over medium heat, stirring continuously for a
couple of minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- In a bowl beat two eggs, plus two yolks, then add the other ingredients, and
- Transfer the mixture to a double boiler over gently boiling water, and slowly
blend in the hot coconut milk, stirring until the mixture thickens to form a continuous
slightly sticky coat on the back of a spoon lifted from the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then transfer to a metal ice cream tray
or similar container and place in the coldest part of the freezer for one hour.
- Remove to a food processor and beat slowly until smooth (this incorporates some
stir into the mixture and prevents it becoming too hard), then return to the freezer
and complete the freezing process.