Thai Newspaper Noodles
Newspaper Noodles are cooked up by street vendors and wrapped in plastic, then
newspaper for a portable snack or light meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bundle (3 to 4
ounces) fresh soba noodles
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 4 ounces roast pork or char siu
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Heat vegetable oil, then stir in garlic and fry over medium heat until light
brown. Remove from heat.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook 30 seconds, then add
bean sprouts. Cook a few seconds to blanch sprouts, then remove from heat and
- Toss with garlic and oil mixture, fish sauce and pepper.
- Top with pork,
cilantro and green onion.
- Wrap tightly while warm in plastic wrap or a banana leaf, forming a triangular
- Wrap in newspaper to make a portable bundle.
Cooked crabmeat or shrimp may be substituted for the pork.
Approximate nutritional analysis, per half cup serving: 550 calories, 23
g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 110 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate,
46 g protein